Sunday 21 February 2010

Asking for trouble


Several months back I made a decision. It started inside me as deep self-annoyance, culminating in the most "fence getting-off" I've done in a long time.
I didn't expect such internal conflict and angst when first entering the local eco-
café . I was with boyo, asleep in his Bugaboo. I weaved past crowded tables, carefully pushing chairs out of the way for the buggy, to take my place in the small queue. I took a mo to check on sleepboy, and when I turned back, three hairy student band types had moved into the queue, so self absorbed with their hipness that they appeared to be strongly body-languaging that I was never in any queue. So I body-languaged back into position. This was blatantly ignored by the hairiest of the skinny-jeaned trio, who placed his effeminate coffee order.

I thought; "Ok, you can be next, but I'M having the sofa" (I was meeting my bro). So I moved sleepboy in Bugaboo over to the leather lounge area and rejoined the queue after The Kings of Leon.

And yes, they took their lattes over to the sofa, the third one looking distinctly awkward as he balanced past the buggy, commenting and gesturing to his chums.

I had it all planned, the intelligent sarcasm I was going to unleash upon them... I had time to plan it, and no excuse.

But I didn't, I just got the boyo and pushed past several chairs to a non-cosy table in the centre of the
café. All Hanson got was a Paddington hard stare.

The decision I made was to not be so British... so reserved, and accepting of mild to moderate inconvenience, rudeness and selfishness. I felt so annoyed... at ME, for being such a wuss.

I decided from this point on, I will always exert my ego...mainly to make other people notice what's going on beyond their bubble.

Maybe even if this means I'm asking for trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment